Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thankful Day 44

Today, I am thankful for the small victories in life.  I know that we all have many in our lives, so let me elaborate on one particular one.

For some reason, while I was at work last night, I began to think about one of the patients I had while I was in Critical Care clinical last year.  He wasn't actually critical, but had decreased blood flow to his right foot.  They had to go in and do some surgery to get blood flow back to his foot.  It was a painful healing process (kind of think of how it feels when your foot is getting blood flow back after it falls asleep times 1000) and he was alone in the hospital because his son lived an hour or two away and his wife had passed away a year or two ago.  In addition to his blood flow issues, he had also suffered a stroke or two in the past and had residual paralysis his right side.  Not enough to admit though.  He was a proud man who went to good old "Billy Jewell" too.

While I was working with him, it was apparent that he was frustrated with the whole lot - trying to eat, withstanding the pain, recovering with just a little nursing student there.  I developed this story in my head that his wife had been the healthy one who faithfully and lovingly took care of him after his strokes. Because of this, when she died, it was a complete surprise to him and he was having a hard time adjusting to her loss still and adjusting to life without her help.

Anyway, small victories.  While he was having trouble eating and had swallow enough pride to ask me to cut his chicken that came for lunch, I was frantically trying to think of a way to get him to eat more.  After spilling rice and green beans on himself for the 20th time, he just gave up and said, "This food is horrible.  Who would eat this stuff?! I'll just wait until I get home to eat."

After sitting with him in silence for awhile, I asked him what he'd really like to eat.  He said, "Oh... graham crackers and peanut butter sound good."  I had no clue if I could find that combination, but I was determined to try my best.  After only 5 MINUTES of looking, I hit the jackpot!!!  VICTORY!!!  When I returned to his room, I showed him my find.  His face just lit up.  He asked me, without hesitation to spread the Peanut Butter on the crackers, and ate 4 or 5 crackers quickly.  I prayed for him while he ate.  I cried as I left the hospital that day.  And I thanked the Lord for the blessing of this man as my patient.

I don't know why I was thinking of him.  I wasn't in that situation at work at all.  I wish I could know how he's doing - if he's still alive or if he's in heaven with his wife.  But, at that moment, I knew I was going to love the aspects of nursing that were more than just giving medicines and listening to lung sounds.  I loved the problem solving and the nursing/nurturing of the soul that happened that day.  I don't even remember his name, but I will always remember my fellow "Billy Jewell" Alum.

1 comment:

Jenn's Travelogue Blog said...

Great story Julie. Made me think of my grandpa.