Monday, March 12, 2012

Thoughts from a wedding

So, my good friend Alana got married Saturday to a great guy named Matthew.  As her wedding day got closer, I thought back to the weeks leading up to our wedding and the weeks after.  I sat across the table from her mom at her bachelorette party dinner and at one point she asked me, "So, how has being a mom changed you?"

That's an interesting question to me because it reminds me of the questions, "So....how's married life? or "How are you adjusting to being married?"  I remember answering the questioners with "fine" or "great." But seriously, my answer to both questions seems to be the same.  

In both situations, the transition (at least for me) was so natural.  Now don't get me wrong.  Both situations were difficult in their own ways and I'm not saying I'm a marriage or a parenting expert, but for me, everything seemed to flow into normalcy, I guess.  I don't know if I'll be able to convey my thoughts correctly, but in both situations, I felt like I was at the point of no return so I had to make some delicious lemonade with every lemon that was thrown my way (oh man....is that the best I could do?).  Point of no return? you ask.  Yes, in a way.  I guess I could have not married Sam, but at the same time, that was definitely not going to happen.  Sam was/is who God created to complete me (ugh, maybe I should just stop) and there was no choice in that one.  In the same way, once Sawyer was conceived there was no going back.  Well, I think I actually had less of a choice with him (in my opinion).  So I had/have to make the best of every challenge that came/is to come with my marriage and my baby.

It's funny though, in both situations, I feel like I can't remember a time when I didn't have either of them.  I mean, I obviously do and definitely miss sleeping after work until 2pm without having to feed a baby, but you get what I mean (I hope).  Yes, I am one of those mushy mommies who say that life is just so complete now that I have my baby.  Well, my life was complete when it was just me and Sam (and Chaco) but it is now complete-er (?), more complete (yes, that one).  It seems like Sam and I have been together for forever and that Sawyer has been around for forever but it's only been almost 7 years (total) and 5 months, respectively.  It hasn't been that long.  And what's more, every once in a while, I'll think about my life and say, "Oh my gosh....this is my life from now on.  No turning back."  It's hard to grasp sometimes.  

I am ending this post like the last one though.  I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.  I am so thankful for the life God has given me.  



1 comment:

Alicia Lea said...

I smile when I see that you have a new blog post. :)